The position of Operations Associate at the Durfee Foundation is ideally suited to an individual who wishes to gain practical experience in the nonprofit sector or philanthropy as part of a platform for a future career in public service and social change. The job will provide the candidate a bird’s-eye view of the sector in Los Angeles, exposure to an extraordinary, cross-sector range of leaders, and intensive training in nonprofit management – from contracting, clerical and bookkeeping functions to events production. The job should be approached with an expectation of a two to four year engagement with the Foundation.
The Durfee Foundation is a private family foundation that supports individuals and organizations in Los Angeles County, with a special emphasis on community development and nonprofit leadership. The Foundation has assets of approximately $30 million, and makes more than $2 million in grants annually.
The position of Operations Associate reports to the Executive Director, and works day-to-day under the supervision of the Program Manager. The ideal candidate for this entry-level should be gracious, self-motivated, detail-oriented and technologically proficient.
The position is part-time, four days/32 hours per week, allowing the candidate to pursue other career development activities on the off-day. The job comes with excellent benefits, and potential for growth.
- Bookkeeping, including monitoring account balances, cash-flow projection, and accounts payable, under supervision of accountant
- Under direction from an independently contracted CPA, prepare documents for financial audits
- Conduct stock sales, and manage relationships with investment managers
- Reconcile monthly financial statements
- Manage contract agreements
- Reimbursement processing
- Office management/general administrative support
- Maintain computer systems, including email, network, website, database and back-up systems
- Event production in collaboration with Program Manager
- Expert in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Knowledge of Mac OSX, QuickBooks Online, Dropbox, Google Drive and WordPress
- Good written and oral communications
- High level administrative capacity
- Database management
- Understand budgets and financial management processes
- Attention to detail, initiative and follow-through
- Capacity to prioritize work and manage multiple projects
- Exercise initiative and good judgement
- College or advanced degree and/or comparable work experience
- General knowledge of/interest in the nonprofit sector
- Graphic design skills a plus
Salary & Benefits:
- $34,000 – $37,000 depending on experience (based on 4 days/week; pro-rated against $42,500 – $46,250 FTE)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 403b retirement fund, with employee match after one year
- Two weeks vacation
Application Due: July 23, 2017
Send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to:
Address cover letter to: Claire Peeps, Executive Director
In your cover letter, please address the following questions:
- What are your professional goals, and why?
- What do you love about Los Angeles?
Start Date: August 2017
Please, no phone calls.